ruarkaudio R1 MK-4
Your favourite chair. The well-worn sweater you always reach for. The watch your grandad gave you. Life’s full of things we treasure and for us, it’s our R1 radio. It was the first product we launched in 2006 and we still cherish it today – and so do our customers. It’s perfectly proportioned, beautifully made, deceptively powerful and entirely adorable. What’s not to love?
- Class leading sound with adaptive EQ
- DAB, DAB+ and FM tuners
- High quality Bluetooth receiver
- USB port for phone charging and shuffle playback
- High contrast OLED display with auto dimming
- Easy-to-use dual alarms and sleep function
A Fresh Approach
Each generation of our R1 has been an evolution of the original, but with R1 Mk4 we wanted it to be more progressive both in design and performance.
Using a precision moulding process has allowed us to gently profile the enclosure providing a fresh new look and the perfect surface for our new Light Cream and Espresso finishes. With acoustic treatment the enclosure is sturdy and acoustically inert, providing the ideal housing for our electronics and NS+ driver.
Enhancing the design further is a beautiful hand-crafted slatted wood grille. This brings added sophistication and creates a timeless Eames like vibe, but overall, the design is still unique and distinctly Ruark.
A New Standard in Sound
Our previous R1 models were critically acclaimed for their sound, but with R1 Mk4 we have further raised the bar! With our heritage in high-fidelity loudspeakers we understand the complexities of enclosure and drive unit design and making sure that both are matched to each other. In particular our latest neodymium NS+ driver, as used in our R3 and R5 models, provides a smooth and extended frequency response and in R1 Mk4’s tuned enclosure delivers an impressive bass performance.
Driving the system is a punchy Class A/B linear amplifier for exceptional dynamics and with adaptive equalisation an eminently listenable sound is provided at all volume levels.
A New Standard in Features
Our crisp OLED display clearly shows time, alarm and programme information and auto adjusts to suit ambient light levels, making it a perfect bedside companion. Radio reception is excellent, and a Bluetooth receiver allows you to enjoy R1’s great sound when streaming from your phone or computer.
FM parameters can be set to suit US and Japanese needs and a multilingual user interface makes R1 a truly international proposition. Also with a real time clock built in, time and date are kept active when power is disconnected or when transmitted data is not available.
The list of features continues, but other highlights include a USB-C charge/shuffle playback port, headphone output, switchable line input and of course our trademark RotoDial control system. Finally, for those seeking distant operation, we have an optional compact remote control available.
As we said back in 2006, radio never sounded or looked this good.
With its battery status display and improved power management R1 Mk4 works even better and longer with the our optional BackPack 3 and means you can enjoy R1’s rich mains powered performance where mains power is unavailable.
BackPack 3 attaches seamlessly to R1 and once fitted can be left permanently in place as it charges automatically whenever mains power is re-applied. A full charge will provide up to twelve hours of mains free listening depending on volume.
BackPack 3 is also compatible with our MR1 Bluetooth Speaker System.
Compact Remote Control
For the first time we have an optional compact remote control available for R1. The remote features four direct access preset buttons so you can easily store and select your favourite radio stations.
Features at a glance
- Beautiful and natural sound quality
- Adaptive EQ provides ideal sound at all volumes
- Digital Radio (DAB and DAB+ tuners)
- Multiregional FM (world, USA, Japan and Korea)
- High quality Bluetooth receiver
- High Fidelity Class A-B amplifier
- Ruark NS+ neodymium full range driver
- Acoustically tuned contoured polymer cabinet
- Adjustable bass and treble settings
- Hand-crafted slatted wood grille
- Easy to use RotoDial controller
- Optional remote control with 4 direct access pre-sets
- Real time clock with battery backup
- Easily customised for hotel use
- USB-C charge and shuffle playback port
- Dual alarms with Daily, custom, weekend and weekday options
- Sleep timer
- Switchable analogue input for aux devices
- Headphone output with independent volume
- Multilingual UI (EN, DA, DE, ES, FR, IT, JA, KO, NL, NO, PL, RU, ZH)
- Auto dimming high contrast OLED display
- Automatic standby after 20 minutes of inactivity
Finishes, dimensions and weight
- Finishes: Light Cream or Espresso lacquers
- Dimensions: H175 × W130 × D135mm
- Weight: 1.5kg
Download the full specification for R1 (PDF)